This dish is perfect for any family gathering or holiday feast. The creamy cheese sauce with the tender potatoes make this classic french dish deliciously addictive. Use as a side dish with a baked ham or beef roast. The All Purpose seasoning gives this dish just the right spice. Feel free to experiment with other cheeses, as you can't really go wrong there. Enjoy!
- 8 Russet potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices (use of a mandolin slicer is preferred)
- 2 Onions, sliced into rings
- 1/3 Cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 Cup unsalted butter
- 4 Cups warm milk (whole is preferred, but 2% will work as a lighter option)
- 3 Cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (half cheddar and half gruyere is delicious as well)
- 2 Tablespoons Willards Kitchen All Purpose Seasoning
Directions (Step by Step)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter two, one quart casserole dishes (or use a 9 by 13 inch dish).
- Layer half of the potatoes into the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top with the onion slices and add the remaining potatoes. Season with one of the two tablespoons of Willards Kitchen All Purpose Seasoning.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and remaining tablespoon of Willards Kitchen All Purpose Seasoning. Keep whisking for about one minute.
- Stir in milk, about a cup at a time, while whisking, and cook until mixture has thickened.
- Turn off heat and stir in cheese. Keep stirring for about a minute.
- Pour cheese sauce over potatoes. Cover with a aluminum foil. *tip - use a non-stick spray on aluminum foil so it doesn't stick to potatoes when cooking.
- Bake about one and a half hours.